Inspiring, educating, transforming…through the arts
Each summer, veteran theatre performers, stagecraft professionals, and students of all ages work together to bring the magic of live theatre to young and old alike. Students chosen through the audition process are given the opportunity to gain valuable experience and first-hand knowledge as they create and perform in our Broadway-style musicals at UCO’S historic Mitchell Hall Theatre in Edmond.
Students from almost every metro area university, a dozen high schools, several middle schools, and 18 elementary schools have been cast in Summerstock musicals. Participation in our productions enables students to experience the fun, excitement, and challenge of performing while developing their own unique talents, strengths, and abilities. Students may receive instruction in dance, acting, vocal music, character development, and other aspects of creating a theatre production, and benefit from the experience of working with theatre professionals who are well respected in the community for their expertise. College students that participate, many of whom are majoring in performing arts, broaden their performance experience and learn skills that will advance them in their chosen career.
Whenever possible, we incorporate children into our productions because we believe that their involvement provides an unforgettable experience for the entire family and stimulates a love for theatre that they will carry into their adult lives. Children are cast through the open audition process in age-appropriate roles and are involved in the educational process of rehearsing and performing. Unlike many theatre productions, children are not charged fees to participate in a Summerstock musical.
In addition, more than a hundred high school and college students have gained valuable experience and honed their skills as members of the crew. For two seasons the award-winning stagecraft class of Edmond North High School constructed the elaborate sets used for the 2007 and 2008 seasons.
Students participating in Summerstock Productions musicals will:
- Create theatre, dance, music, and visual art
- Perform theatre, dance, and music
- Respond to theatre, music, dance, and visual art
- Develop in-depth skills in theatre arts
- Appreciate the importance of the arts in expressing human experience
- Be encouraged to continue lifelong involvement in an art form, and to participate as responders, creators, or performers
- Begin to develop the skills necessary to master at least one art form to be able to pursue further study if they choose
- Be encouraged to seek arts experiences and participate in the artistic life of their school and community
- Understand the connections among the arts, other disciplines and daily life